Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Everyman : Days 7-8

Day 7

So yeah,
After my oversleeping incident on Day 6 which resulted in being pretty alert all day I had a teeeeerrible day on day 7. I woke up feeling about a -9001 / 10 because of being shocked back into polyphasic but I realise it didn't set me back too much. I was more tired than I've ever been and more nauseous, worse than when I quit the uberman the first time. The positive effect to this was that I felt so bad, I don't think I could have gone back to sleep without eating/drinking and fixing my physical state so I just lay there until I had the motivation to make some food, at which point my condition improved. Back to work I guess ;)

To be honest I can't remember crap from yesterday except copious (read: unhealthily excessive, but then again I'm getting 4 hours sleep a night) amounts of Anno 1404 aka Dawn of Discovery so I'm not going to bullshit you with numbers, I just know that I felt the worst out of the days so far on the Everyman but I also came closest to sleeping during a nap.

I was in the perfect state to begin sleeping 1 minute after I lay down, my eyes were heavy and my thoughts were calm as I drifted ever closer to that sweet state....Then my home phone starts ringing. I'm still calm at this point so I decide to let it ring out, then it starts ringing again. Now mood swings are pretty crazy during adaptation as you know how people get cranky if they miss an hour or two out of their night, and I've slept for around 30 hours in the past week.

Anywho I have to get out of bed or I'm going to punch a hole in the wall so I pick up the phone and its josh, a non polyphasic friend (i'm literally clenching my fists just thinking about this)calling to check if I'm awake cause apparently I should be. The first nap where I've felt sleep is a forgone certainty and can't wait for the feeling afterwards. I tell him to politely refrain from disturbing me during nap times and he said he thought my nap was 30 minutes earlier.

Why do people even have phones? Skype solves.

Anyways so I'm irritated as hell and return to bed only to arise 20 minutes later feeling like a bag...no a sack of shit, an 85kg sack of shit. Here the josh, have a trophy!

So yesterday was crapness personified and because my memory is so bad all I can remember is the very very recent past, so it seems my whole adaptation so far has been crap. Well this changed today!

Day 8

Yeah I lied about being able to remember the very recent past, I literally can't recount what I did this morning, but I sure can make a guess, games. So the day progresses as normal, I feel good approaching the 12pm nap, afterwards feel tired for an hour then after eating lunch I have passable alertness.

I'm pretty sure I slept during my 5:40 nap, not because I remember anything but because I felt a 6.5/10 up until my 11:30 nap where honestly, I didn't feel tired at all (compared to earlier days) maybe like I had a full monophasic sleep but got woken up once in the night and haven't been feeling that hot.

So I played poker throughout that time period because I gotta start trying to fit in some work into my most lucid time periods to make up for the 5 days or so of no poker whatsoever.

It's 12:52am now and I feel pretty decent, probably about as I would feel if I had simply stayed up to 12:52, maybe even a bit better because I was used to going to bed before 11.

For dinner, got some chicken and chopped it up, added some dark soy sauce and mixed it in with some chinese style rice risotto, was pretty damn tasty.

Kinda afraid tomorrow will be sucky, not sure why but it just seems like anything can happen on this schedule.

Oh and some sad news, as of this moment adrian has pulled out of the experiment citing no appreciable improvement and not a huge amount to gain from adaptation to the schedule which is understandable with the possibility of retrying if he ever has an activity to motivate him enough. If it weren't for poker I can't think of a possible use for the extra time unless I was playing SC2 for a living or something.'

So I'll leave it there for today, I will post every day from now on just because I forget important happenings along the way and it might just help you in the future!

Ballin' out of control, 20/7/365
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment